First day

First day

Elder Sorensen's Current Mission Address:

My address is:

Just send everything to the office, where you send packages. I live right by the office and go there every week.





Mission Home Address:

New York, New York North Mission
700 White Plains Road Suite 315
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Packages should be sent to the mission home address to keep our elders safe.

How to use:

1. Feel free to comment to our boy by using the comments listed directly below the post. When he comes home, I'm sure he would love to go back over all of his letters and read the comments that others added to encourage him. All you have to do is click on the

0 Comments (or sometimes it lists how many there are).

2. In most cases, the names will be changed to prevent too much personal information from getting out.

Thanks for reading his letters. I'm sure he would love to know how many people ARE reading and how much we all love him and what work he's doing!

Friday, April 17, 2009

4.17.09

Hey family,

Everything here is going great! We had a good week last week and a great start to this week. My companion got transferred and I am waiting for my new one to come down from up state. A lot of the members were really sad to see him go because he had been here so long. I will also miss him because I learned a lot from being with him. We got along fairly well and I sure learned a lot from being his companion. I am really falling in love with this area and our ward. We have a lot of great members and I really enjoy the work here in the Bronx. We move through so many people so fast it is easy to stay busy.

A lot of our new investigators have been dropping off and we are going to have to start finding some new people to teach. It is really sad to see people reject the truth and make choices that will hinder there spiritual growth. I remember coming out of our last appointment with that family of five and just feeling so sorry for them. I can't do anything if they don't want to listen and the fact that I can't do anything kills me.

On a positive note we found two new investigators on Monday who were old investigators so hopefully they will have a change of heart. Again, I am love being a missionary and working here in this area.

At the old people's center where we do service work we had a great experience. Missionaries haven't been doing service there for a long time but at first the person who runs it was really strict in saying that we couldn't proselyte or talk about the church. I guess at first they couldn't even wear their tags. But then last week the person who runs it thanked us and asked us if we could do some sort of presentation about our church for the center. She was really impressed by us and everyone there really loves having us there. So yesterday we showed "Finding faith in Christ" and did a question and answer thing. A good amount of people came and it was really good to help people understand our beliefs. They even asked us to do it again some time so that should be great.

I am learning a lot by being a missionary. I never thought I would change as much as I have but I have really learned a lot. I am focusing on being more of a charitable missionary vs. a dutiful missionary. I need to put my whole heart into this work and focus on this work as much as possible. I have been going through the New Testament and have learned so much about the attributes of Christ and the teachings he gave to us. I am grateful for all that He has done and I strive to become more like Him every day.

So it sounds like everyone is doing fairly well and all staying busy. I like the idea of the clean up service project. A lot of missionary work is just having a good public face. Thank you so much for the Easter package I enjoyed the candy and power bars. Also thank you grandma for the package. Thank you all for all of the support and help you have given me. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Elder Sorensen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that community center thing sounds so great! I'm so glad that worked out for the best. Having a public face is a huge thing for the church, I agree. I look at a temple and I can only imagine how many people look up at them too and wonder if they can come in because it's so beautful. I know I have to be careful not to put on a face that is false too. You know what I mean? I sometimes try to hide myself and just put the church forward. But I have to remember also that I'm me because of what the church is. Maybe I sound crazy.

You're wonderful, Dan. We sure miss you. C is giving kisses like CrAzY! Dad (nick) had to take her to get a test done and they made her swallow some awful stuff. She didn't like, became covered in it and then desided that she's rather kiss Dad. He was COVERED! So cute.

we love you.
-nick, deb and claire